The Star Stuff Guy- Carl Sagan

Although I have been involved in astronomy for couple of years, I wasn’t aware of this brilliant personality, Dr. Carl Sagan until recently (I should add here that there are unfortunately only handful of people who knows about Carl Sagan in Sri Lanka). Then thanks to Prof. Kavan Ratnatunga, I managed to watch the whole thirteen episodes of COSMOS which I find amazing. Because of it’s usefulness after so many years. What attracted me most is the way he puts all these complicated science stuff in a simplest form where general public and anyone without any scientific background could easily grasp.

The first step was to screen the COSMOS series in one our local universities- University of Colombo- as a project organized by Sri Lanka Astronomical Association. It was screened last year for the tenth anniversary of Carl Sagan’s passing.

This year we are just about to celebrate the eleventh anniversary of Carl Sagan’s passing. Recently I came across Joel’s Carl Sagan Memorial Blog-a-Thon -which originally gave me the inspiration to do the Sir Arthur Clarke’s 90th birthday wish blog.- Joel’s continuing the Carl Sagan Memorial Blog-a-thon for the second consecutive time.

I’ll be contributing this year with an article about Carl Sagan for the local newspaper. December 20th is the big date.

0 comments: